In Concord, California, the Don Salvio Pacheco Adobe is a historic adobe building. Salvio Pacheco was granted the Mexican land grant of Rancho Monte del Diablo in 1834, including what is now known as Concord and portions of Pleasant Hill. He finished this two-story adobe on June 24, 1835, the first structure to be erected in the Diablo Valley.
Pacheco gave the land surrounding this adobe to the 1868 earthquake-flood refugees, and the settlement was known as Concord, previously known as Todos Santos.
Pioneer Californian- “Alcalde” – Founder Grantee of Rancho Monte del Diablo
In the early 1840s, the Adobe of Don Salvio Pacheco was established as the headquarters for the 17,921 acres Rancho Monte del Diablo that he was granted in 1834. The main structure had two wide ground floor quarters, made of local adobe brick and finished with fine woodwork imported from Spain; six bedrooms were upstairs. The dining room, kitchen, and servant quarters were the primary out-buildings on the north side. Further north, there was a stable, a corral, and a bull ring. On the south side were wood-frame guest apartments. Near the Artesian wells, just west, was a swimming pool and a dance floor. Until the early 1930s, the Pacheco family retained the Adobe brand.
It has been sold several times and remodelled. A series of restaurants and small banks were the recent tenants. Now it is rented by the Leisure Facilities Department of the City of Concords. It is designated as Concord Landmark 1-14-76/4 and State Landmark No. 515 and is located at 1870 Adobe Lane. Juan Salvio Pacheco II was a direct descendant of the first settlers of California: his father and grandfather were part of an expedition to Alta California by de Anza.
Juan Salvio was born in Monterey on July 15, 1793, and enlisted in the Militia in 1810, serving in Monterey, San Francisco Presidos, and San Jose Pueblo for 17 years. In 1817, at Mission Santa Clara, he married Maria Juana Flores. Don Salvio began civilian service in several important capacities in San Jose in 1827; among them, "Alcalde" or Mayor. Don Salvio and Dona Juana had eight kids by 1829. The oldest of the six survivors, Fernando Jose Maria, was sent to take possession of the Rancho for the family in 1835. The other children were: Maria Sirica de Altagracia, Pedro Ignacio, Salvador and Maria Delores Manuela twins, and Maria Conception twins.
In 1846, everything changed to the new Adobe. The Adobe was finally inherited by Salvador; Manuela married Francisco Galindo and the new settlement of Todos Santos had a site adjacent to the adobe surveyed in 1868. In 1869, as a choice for residents and merchants of nearby Pacheco region, they offered free lots in Todos Santos, which had been reduced in value by fires, floods, earthquakes, and sitting on its deep water channel. After 1869, the new village eventually became known as Concord. By the time of the death of Don Salvio in August 1876, most of his ranch had been sold or given away. In the Cemetery of Martinez, Don Salvio Pacheco is buried.
Concord, California is blessed with many interesting historical landmarks that are worth a visit:
Concord Historical Society
Don Fernando Pacheco Adobe
Site Of The Murder Of Dr. John Marsh
Galindo Home Museum & Gardens
Port Chicago Naval Magazine National Memorial
Todos Santos Plaza
Markham Regional Arboretum
Newhall Community Park
All of these wonderful landmarks are located just a short distance from our location located at 111 Arthur Road in Martinez, California! Stop by for a visit anytime!